Thursday, April 16, 2009

The Principality Of Sealand

Ladies & Gentlemen and whoever else may be reading, I give you The Principality of Sealand. The first I heard of sea was last week and I have to say I'm completly facinated by the place. For anyone who doesn't know Sealand lies off the English coast in the North Sea and was used as a WW2 defence by the British Armed Forces. It was abandonned in 1956. Then in 1967 Major Paddy Roy Bates, a British subject and pirate radio broadcaster, who ejected a competing group of pirate broadcasters took over and declared Sealand a sovereign state (what a man!). It has it's own stamps, currency and passports as well as a few national sports teams.
Since it's foundation Sealand has endured an armed struggle, a fire which practically destroyed the whole place and pressure from the British government who claim it's part of the UK............I say finders keepers
Oh and there's even a government in exile, the story is fucking crazy, i'd love to visit it, but sadly I don't think they do package holidays there yet.
Long live Sealand!!

No comments:

Post a Comment